Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday Dinner

For tonight's dinner I tried a new recipe that turned out exceptionally well - it's definitely a keeper. However, it would have been rather pricey if not for coupons and sales, so it's probably not something I'll make on a regular basis. Still, it was absolutely delicious and something I'll enjoy serving when all the right pricing comes together.

The recipe came from the June issue of Southern Living magazine and it's called Onion-Topped Sausage and Mashed Potato Casserole. Original, huh?

Here's the link:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1898465

I modified it a little based on what I had on hand and what I thought it needed. Here's my version:

1 lb. chicken Italian sausage
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
fresh snipped parsley and chives from my garden

Remove sausage from casings, crumble and fry until done. Add tomatoes (undrained) and cook on high heat for 10 minutes. Add fresh herbs if using (nice touch but don't sweat it if you don't have 'em.) Pour into 9 x 13" casserole dish.

Mix together:

Refrigerated 24 oz. package garlic mashed potatoes (similar amount of prepared instant potatoes would also be fine)
1/2 8oz package shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 t. Italian seasoning

Spread potatoes on top of sausage-tomato mixture. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until bubbly. Top with 1 small can French Fried Onions and bake 5 additional minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
____________

Harris Teeter has Italian sausage (pork or chicken) on sale this week BOGO. And they're having Super Double coupons, so the $1 coupon I had for Country Crock mashed potatoes took $2 off. (Otherwise I was planning to make plain instant mashed potatoes and add some sauteed garlic to them.) I already had the French's Fried Onions on hand because I stock up @.25 - .50 a can whenever HT has triple coupons. I several 28 oz. cans of diced tomatoes on hand from a deal Lowes Foods had awhile back. And I'm very well-stocked on shredded cheese because deals + coupons have been plentiful lately. I estimate this casserole would have cost well over $12 if I'd paid full price for all the ingredients.

Totals:

$2.67 - chicken Italian sausage
$1.99 - Country Crock mashed potatoes
.25 - French Fried Onions
.60 - canned tomatoes
.50 - shredded cheese

.50 - green beans (side dish)

$6.51 for dinner for 4 (sister came over again tonight) - lots of casserole left over

No comments: