Saturday, July 4, 2009

Saturday Dinner

Happy 4th of July!

In honor of Independence Day, we had...orange chicken, rice and steamed edamame. Seriously. I'm so ashamed. LOL

I didn't really think about it being 4th of July until late afternoon. By then there wasn't time to defrost any meat to go on the grill, and I didn't have any "traditional" side dishes anyway. So I'm defrosting some meats to grill tomorrow, and tonight I just concentrated on what was easy and low-effort.

The Orange Chicken came from Trader Joe's - we stopped at the one in Chapel Hill on the way back from the beach. Like almost every other frozen item I've tried from Trader Joe's, their brand is head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe that's why I've been so disappointed with the Bertolli stuff - Trader Joe's is twice as good for a lot less $$. (What I wouldn't give to have a store in Greensboro.) On the side we had plain white rice and steam-in-the-bag edamame (I'm so thrilled that WalMart carries this now).

Totals:

$5 - Trader Joe's Orange Chicken
$1.25 - Pictsweet Edamame
free - white rice (bought during Harris Teeter triple coupons)

$6.25 for dinner for 3, with a full plate of leftovers for lunch tomorrow (hopefully me, but only if I can beat The Kid to it)

PS: No dinner post last night - The Kid got home from youth retreat and we went out to dinner to celebrate.

2 comments:

Shea said...

Foodie, where did ya go?????

GSO Foodie said...

Not sure which "where" you mean, but for the beach we went to Holden Beach with friends, The Kid was at a youth retreat in Chattanooga, and we went out to Lone Star to celebrate. :)