Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturday Dinner

For dinner tonight I grilled some garlic-herb marinated Perdue "perfect portions." I think they're way overpriced at $8.99 for 5 individually wrapped chicken breasts (regular price), but not too bad at $4.50, which is what I paid after short-dated markdown + doubled coupon.

On the side we had a pasta-veggie dish. It would have been a lot better if I hadn't had to keep it warm for an hour because certain someones neglected to call home to tell me they would be late - but it was still OK. I diced 3 slices of bacon and cooked them in a large skilled with one thinly sliced onion until bacon was done and onion was soft and carmelized. I added 2 minced cloves of garlic and 8 oz. sliced mushrooms and sauteed until mushrooms were done. Then I added 2 tomatoes from my garden, seeded and cut into 1" chunks, a 4 oz. box of thin spaghetti, cooked, and fresh snipped parsley and chives from my garden. I stirred in some gorgonzola cheese crumbles just before serving.

Totals:

$2.70 - chicken
$1.50 - mushrooms
.33 - pasta
.50 - misc. pasta ingredients

$5.03 for dinner for 3

No comments: