Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tuesday Dinner

Tonight we had more of the meat I grilled on Sunday - this time was a smoked sausage. Lowes Foods had them BOGO a few months back. When combined with doubled coupons, I paid .50 each - so I bought as many as I could to freeze. On the side we had pierogies (also BOGO, this time from HT), and a recipe I call Butter-Crumb Cabbage. The cabbage recipe is from Alton Brown of Good Eats (a Food Network show), and I think he originally called something like Head, Shred, Butter & Bread in case you want to look it up on Foodtv.com.

Basically, I shred half a head of cabbage and boil it in salted water for about 4 minutes, or just until tender. While it's cooking, I melt half a stick of butter in a large skillet. To this I add about 1/2 package of Texas Toast Garlic Butter croutons that I've crushed in the bag with a rolling pin. I mix everything together, adding in a few dashes of pepper and a few pinches of dry mustard. Then I add the hot, drained cabbage, stir it all up and serve. It's delicious and a nice change from other cabbage dishes.

Totals:

.50 - Carolina Pride smoked sausage
$1.50 - pierogies
.50 - 1/2 head cabbage
free - croutons (after double coupons)

$2.50 for dinner for 3, with plenty of leftovers

No comments: