Monday, August 3, 2009

Monday Dinner

Tonight I tried something totally and completely new - not just a new recipe, but a flavor profile that is way outside my realm of experience and comfort zone. I made Indian food. It comes with a story. :)

I recently made a cake that called for 1/2 cup coconut milk. I didn't want to throw out the rest of the can, but I didn't want to make the exact same cake again either.

OK...that's a lie. The cake was so awesome I did SO want to make it all over again, the minute the last piece was gone. (Which happened less than 24 hours after we first cut into it, if that tells you anything.) But I didn't think it was such a great idea, health-wise. Because although I believe any food has a place in our diet in moderation, there was no "moderation" used with the first cake, and I knew there wouldn't be with the second one, either. We'd gobble it all up in 24 hours again. OK for every once in awhile, but not for twice in the same week. So I went on the hunt for a recipe using coconut milk.

It wasn't easy. The search I did for "coconut milk" as a ingredient brought up lots of recipes that used "coconut" something or other (flakes, cream of, extract, etc.) and some form of milk (whole, skim, evaporated, etc.), but very few that used actual "coconut milk." Of the few I found, they were all flavor profiles I'm completely unfamiliar with - Indian, Thai, Caribbean, etc. And most of them required me to buy a whole bunch of other ingredients I didn't have and/or wasn't familiar with.

Then I found this recipe:

Curried Coconut Chicken


It was simple, it didn't require anything I didn't already have on hand, and it got rave reviews. So that's what we had tonight.

I usually never follow recipes exactly - I always make small changes to suit my tastes, time and ingredients. But since this flavor profile was so unfamiliar, I decided to follow it to the letter. The verdict: very good. The entire family (sister included) thoroughly enjoyed it, and were surprised at how mild it tasted, given how strong it smelled. I don't know if I'd give it the raves that other cooks have given it, but I'll definitely make it again.

Totals:

$1.39 - coconut milk
$2.66 - chicken
.50 - diced tomatoes
.33 - tomato sauce
.20 - onion, rice

$5.08 for dinner for 4, with enough leftovers for 1 more serving

*****

Now, here's the recipe for the cake that started the whole shebang. Words cannot describe. You must try this for yourself.

*******

Banana Tres Leches Cake

1 box white cake mix (I used Supermoist French Vanilla)
1 1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup mashed bananas (2 medium)

1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup (from 14oz can) coconut milk
1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream

Cool Whip
Toasted Coconut


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 9x13" baking pan.

In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and bananas on low speed of electric mixer for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl often. Pour into greased pan.

Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about one hour.

Combine sweetened condensed milk, cream of coconut, and cream. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of cooled cake. Pour milk mixture evenly over cake. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 12 hours - 24 hours is even better.

Remove plastic wrap and frost completely with Cool Whip. Top with toasted coconut. Cut into squares to serve. Serve cold.

No comments: