Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wednesday Dinner

I wasn't pleased with tonight's dinner. I tried 2 new-to-me items and both turned out to be a bust, unfortunately.

The first were fresh-made salmon burgers from the HT seafood department. I found 2 packages on markdown a few weeks ago, so I picked them up and froze them. The first package had 2 "Bacon & Onion" patties, and the 2nd package contained 1 "Asian Sesame" patty. The Kid chose the Asian Sesame flavor, so the adults were left with the 2 Bacon & Onion burgers.

The Kid definitely got the better deal. I tried a bite of the Asian Sesame and it was much, much tastier than mine. In fact, I couldn't taste any bacon or onion flavors at all - it tasted like just plain salmon to me. Plus, all the patties were too thick and "bulky." I've had pre-made frozen salmon burgers before and like them quite well, but they have all been considerably thinner than these were. So even thought the Asian Sesame burger was reasonably tasty, I wouldn't buy it again due to the "meatball" factor.

The second not-so-great item were frozen Garlic Fries from Trader Joe's. We'd tried their Chipotle Fries before and liked them very much. We decided to give these a try thinking they'd be a similar product. They weren't. Instead of a creamy sauce like the chipotle variety, these came with a packet of "garlic sauce" that was little more than minced raw garlic and parsley in oil. Heck, if I'd wanted raw garlic on my fries, I could have done that myself without buying anything special. These were overwhelmingly garlicky and just not very good. So I'll put this item on the list of stuff to never buy again from Trader Joe's - it's a small list, but it's there. (It also includes honey-flavored Greek yogurt, Chili-Lime chicken burgers, and Tomato Chutney.)

Oh well, if my dinners can't serve as a great example, they can serve as a terrible warning. (grin)

Totals:

$2.49 - garlic fries
.75 - buns
$3.97 - salmon burgers

$7.21 total for dinner for 3 (this is the part that really hurts - I could have made dinner that was twice as good for 1/2 the cost)

No comments: