Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday Dinner

No dinner post last night - I was too sick to cook so it was every man for himself.

I'm still too sick to cook tonight but I managed anyway. I made all my favorite comfort foods and looked forward to eating dinner all afternoon. Then I couldn't taste a darn thing because of this stupid cold/flu. Oh well, I'm sure it was delicious.

We had smoked sausage (grilled last week), individual potato gratins, and butter-crumb cabbage. For the gratins, I use a bag of Simply Potatoes Homestyle Slices (purchased BOGO + double coupon), so I have to increase all the other ingredients to accommodate 12 muffin-cups worth instead of 8. This isn't an exact-measurement sort of recipe, though, so it's very simple. For the butter-crumb cabbage, I use a lot more than 1/2 cup crumbs called for. I crush up 1/2 a bag of Texas Toast Garlic Butter croutons, so it probably comes out to more like 1 cup.

Totals:

.50 - smoked sausage (BOGO + double coupon)
.40 - Simply Potatoes
$1 - cheese & cream for potatoes
.40 - 1/2 large head cabbage
.25 - croutons (double coupons)
.25 - butter

$2.80 for dinner for 3, with 1 serving sausage and several servings cabbage & potatoes left over

No comments: