Monday, September 21, 2009

Sunday Dinner

I've been lax about writing the nightly dinner posts on the night I actually serve the dinner. Sorry about that; I'm going to try to be more timely.

Last night was homemade lasagna, bread, and fresh fruit. I'm afraid I can't give any meaningful totals for the meal because half of the ingredients were free to me.

My brother-in-law works for a local grocery chain. As an employment perk, they have weekly specials on various grocery items for their employees. Last week's associates deal was most of the makings of a lasagna dinner for free - box of lasagna noodles, jar of pasta sauce, loaf of garlic bread, canister of grated parmesan, and $$ off a tub of ricotta cheese.

Since my sister's oven is broken, I suggested he get all the ingredients and bring them to me, and I'd add what was needed to make a big pan of lasagna for everybody.

So I cooked up a pound of Italian sausage I'd had in the freezer (meat markdown + BOGO special), added eggs and seasonings to the ricotta, and threw in 1.5 bags of shredded mozzarella (purchased B2G3 free). (My lasagna recipe is pretty much like everyone else's, which is why I'm not posting specifics. But I'll certainly share it if anyone wants it - just email me.) The result was a yummy lasagna that served 5 of us with plenty of leftovers. We also had bread, and finally finished off the last of the watermelon from our garden. (I'm so glad that's gone because I was tired of seeing it in the fridge.)

No comments: