Sunday, October 11, 2009

Weekend Dinners

Friday
I pulled up the garden this week, so I used the last of the basil to make the final batch of pesto for the season. I turned this into pesto pasta salad, which I served with the last tomatoes and some sliced ham.

Totals:
$1 - pasta
.50 - 1/2 bag frozen peas
free - basil
$1 - rest of pesto ingredients
free - tomatoes
.65 - about 1/2 lb. ham

$3.15 for dinner for 3


Saturday
The Kid had a function, so we had Orange Chicken Wanchai Ferry bagged frozen dinner. These are very good, but you should believe the package where it says "serves 2." Even for 2, it's a bit of a skimpy meal. These are way overpriced at regular price, but not too bad when on sale + coupon.

$3.99 for dinner for 2


Sunday
I made a traditional Sunday dinner today; Oven-Fried Chicken, rice & gravy, and collards. The chicken recipe is from the back of the Bisquick box and is one of my favorites because it's easy and low-mess. I used just chicken thighs because they're also our favorites, and because Food Lion had a good price on them the other week. I haven't bought much meat from Food Lion in the past, and if this chicken was any indication of their quality, I won't be buying much meat from them in the future, either. I've never seen such fatty, heavy-skinned chicken. I cut away at least 1/2 lb. in waste before I could cook it.

Totals:

$2.18 - chicken
.20 - rice
$1.40 - jarred gravy
$1 - collards (canned, Margaret Holmes brand)

$4.78 for dinner for 5 (sister joined us & brought leftovers to brother-in-law)

No comments: