Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday Dinner

Tonight I made Slow Cooker Sweet & Spice Asian Pork from this month's issue of Real Simple magazine. I would have taken a photo to post with the entry, but we were so hungry that we wolfed it down before I got a chance to break out my camera. That should tell you how good it was.

I always make a few changes to recipes, and this was no exception. I found that the original recipe didn't make enough sauce to cover the meat, so I doubled the sauce ingredients (soy sauce, brown sugar, chili-garlic sauce, grated ginger). Also, my slow-cooker just doesn't get hot enough, so when the meat was done I transferred everything to a skillet and cranked the heat to high to reduce the sauce to a thick, syrupy consistency. Then I added the bok choy and simmered for a few minutes until it was tender. I also doubled the amount of rice. The end result served 5 people, with seconds.

This recipe was a definite keeper.


Totals:

$2.07 - pork shoulder (BOGO at Lowes Foods - had my butcher cut a larger one in half)
$1.69 - bok choy
$1.50 - additional ingredients

$5.26 for dinner for 5 (sister and brother-in-law joined us)

No comments: