Sunday, January 24, 2010

Weekend Dinners + Dessert


Dinners this weekend were nothing special. Saturday night we ate out, and tonight the adults split a Palermo's Rustic frozen pizza because The Kid had youth group. (The Palermo's pizzas were BOGO the same week Harris Teeter had Super Double Coupons. The price worked out between $1.60 - $1.75 apiece, which is a fabulous price for an upscale, all-natural frozen pizza. So, needless to say, my freezer is full of them.)

Now let's get on to the good stuff - DESSERT!

I made this last weekend and it was so good I couldn't wait to make it again. The tangy sweet cream is especially wonderful - it would lend itself beautifully to other desserts, but is so delicious that I could eat it all on its own. (The Kid thought so, too, and snatched spoonfuls whenever I wasn't watching.) It's really a great budget-minded dish, because it starts with sour cream, which is cheaper than heavy cream. There are also frequent coupons for sour cream - I think this was less than 1/2 the shelf price after doubled coupons at Harris Teeter. Plus it keeps well, unlike whipped cream, which will deflate and "melt" eventually. The rest of the ingredients - brown sugar, cinnamon, oranges and bananas - are all things I already have and/or regularly buy anyway, making this a perfect "any night" dessert.

So after The Kid got home from youth group, I whipped this up and we had a nice dessert together as a family. Total cost was under $2 and it took me all of 15 minutes. Win!

NOTE: Since this was the second time I've made this dish I didn't really measure, but I estimate that I doubled the ingredients for the Tangy Sweet Cream. It's so good we all wanted an extra big serving this time.

No comments: