Friday, February 19, 2010

Thursday Dinner

I've been shopping Harris Teeter's Super Double Coupons every day this week. (Due to their limit of 20 per day, because I keep finding new online coupons to print, and because they've been out of items.) Anyway, that's also given me lots of opportunities to scour the meat department for markdowns and I've made some great finds. (And missed out on some, too. I saw a woman with her cart filled with yellow-stickered lamb shoulder roasts and ground lamb, but when I got back to the department I found she'd cleaned them out.) Thursday night we had one of those great markdown deals when I made steak fajitas with skirt steak marked more than 50% off.

To marinate the mean, I used a packet of McCormick Mesquite BBQ marinade (just add cider vinegar and oil) that I've had for just about forever. (Way back when, it was also an almost-free deal after triple coupons.) After marinating the whole steak for several hours, I grilled it on the George Foreman for about 4 minutes, then let rest for another 5 before slicing thinly against the grain. I served on heated flour tortillas with carmelized onions and roasted red peppers (from a jar, because it was what I had on hand). We passed salsa, sour cream (free after double coupons), shredded cheese and guacamole (free after double coupons) at the table. I had thought I had a can of refried beans in the pantry, but couldn't find it so I was left scrambling for a side dish. We ended up with just tortilla chips (.50 a bag after double coupons) and salsa.

Totals:

$2.25 - skirt steak
.15 - marinade
.50 - onions & peppers
.80 - tortillas
.50 - cheese
.20 - chips

$4.40 for dinner for 4 (sister joined us)

No comments: