Friday, February 5, 2010

Weeknight Dinners




My quest for the perfect Bolognese sauce continues. Yesterday I spent the better part of the day making this version from Emeril Lagasse, which I served over spaghetti, with garlic breadsticks on the side. Verdict: very good, but something is still eluding me. Many years ago I had what I consider to be the best Bolognese sauce I ever tasted at Olive Garden, of all places. They took it off the menu soon after and it stayed gone for several years. When it came back, it wasn't the same sauce at all - I know, because I tried it and also made the recipe they now post on their website. So I'll keep looking and trying various recipes, although not too often because it's a pricey - not to mention labor-intensive - dish.

It's a dish with a long list of ingredients that I'm not going to price out one by one, but I estimate the pot cost me about $7 with bought-on-sale ingredients like eVic ground chuck and B2G3 free bacon. At full price, it probably would have been $12 - $14. At least it makes a lot - I was able to serve 4, send a plastic container home with my sister, and still have another 4 - 6 servings left over.

___________

Tonight I tried a new-to-me Trader Joe's dish - Saucy Scallops with Peas and Mushrooms. It's exactly what it sounds like - frozen scallops, peas and sliced mushrooms in a creamy cheese sauce. I served it over rice, with a loaf of Trader Joe's beer bread (from mix) on the side. The verdict: as always, the beer bread stole the show. But in this case, it wasn't difficult. The scallop dish was bland and blah. We ate it, but it was nothing special and I won't be buying it again.

Totals:

$4.99 - scallop dish
$3 - beer bread ($1.99 mix + beer & butter)
.20 - rice

$8.19 for dinner for 4 (sister joined us), plus 1/2 loaf beer bread left over

__________________

Note: I didn't post about Wednesday's dinner because it was a freebie - we ate a late lunch out and nobody was terribly hungry, so we picked at leftovers.

No comments: