Monday, April 12, 2010

Saturday, Sunday & Monday Dinners

Saturday was all about getting the garden planted. This year we're growing tomatoes (3 kinds), squash, bell peppers, arugula, bok choy, edamame, pole beans, romaine lettuce plus a heat-resistant lettuce blend of several varieties, and basil, chives, parsley and cilantro. It was a lot less work than last year because the raised beds were already in place, but I was still hot and tired by the time we were done. So I made it easy on myself and told everybody to clean the fridge out of leftovers. That also meant dinner was free, because I'd already accounted for the cost in other meals.

Sunday was a similar story, but this time we were busy running errands and ate a late lunch out. So everyone fended for themselves - the adults had leftover potato soup and The Kid had PB&J.

Monday I was back in the kitchen. We had grilled teriyaki chicken sandwiches on soft rolls, plus frozen french fries and steamed edamame. For the sandwiches, I butterflied thick chicken breasts, marinated in teriyaki sauce, and grilled on the George Foreman. Halfway through, I topped each with a pineapple slice, then served on buns with sliced monterey jack cheese.

Totals:

$1.50 - chicken
.75 - rolls
.30 - cheese
.20 - pineapple
.66 - frozen french fries
$1.66 - steamable edamame

$5.07 for dinner for 3, with leftover edamame

No comments: