Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tuesday & Wednesday Dinners

Do you ever just forget about a favorite recipe? That's what happened with Tuesday night's dinner. I did a lot of cooking before our mountain trip because I didn't want to show up at our friends' house empty-handed. While searching (in vain) for my signature chocolate cake recipe, I came across my old recipe for Asian Sloppy Joes. These are so delicious, easy, and a favorite of my late father's - but I can't remember the last time I made them. (Possibly not since his death 2 years ago.) I'm not sure why, I just forgot about them. But after rediscovering the recipe, I was determined to make them as soon as possible - and I did. (P.S. I never did find my recipe for Scotch Chocolate Cake, but a quick internet search turned up a recipe that was *almost* identical. Luckily, I knew my own recipe well enough to know where to make the changes.)

Along with the Asian Sloppy Joes I made on Tuesday, we had sweet potato fries, and Asian-style slaw. The sweet potato fries were frozen (triple coupons), the Asian slaw was just bagged coleslaw mix tossed with Kraft Toasted Sesame dressing and a can of drained Mandarin oranges.

Here's the recipe for Asian Sloppy Joes:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 tsp. minced garlic*
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger*
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
3 T. hoisin sauce
3 T. water
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. rice wine vinegar

Brown ground turkey with garlic and fresh ginger. Drain fat if necessary (I never need to). Add rest of ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve on heated buns.

* - if you don't have fresh garlic and ginger, add 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and 1/2 tsp. ground ginger with sauce ingredients.

Totals:

$1.19 - ground turkey (Aldi)
.59 - 1/2 package buns
.20 - can tomato sauce
$1 - 1/2 package sweet potato fries
$2 - bagged cole slaw mix
.70 - canned mandarin oranges

$4.68 for dinner for 4, with leftover sloppy joe mix for 1 - 2 more servings

__________

Wednesday was a fast-food fundraiser night for The Kid's school, so we ate out.

No comments: