Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday Dinner

When Aldi had their German/Bavarian specialties week a few months ago, I ended up stocking up on several products. After making them the first time, I went back for more because they were just so good. Tonight we had their Pork Schnitzel (thin, breaded pork fillets) and Spaetzel (egg noodles). For a green vegetable I sauteed an onion in a little bacon fat, then added half a head of shredded cabbage and 1/2 cup chicken broth, covered and simmered until tender. A sprinkle of pepper and caraway seeds at the end finished it off. This is one of my favorite ways to cook cabbage.

Totals:

$3 - pork schnizel (1/2 $6 package)
$1.25 - spaetzel (1/2 $2.50 package)
.50 - cabbage

Dinner for 3 for $4.75.

NOTE: Bacon grease was the primary cooking fat used in this country before WWII. We've really gotten away from it over the last 30 years because of health concerns. While I agree that it's not the best choice for everyday cooking, I believe any food can have a place in our diet when eaten in moderation. I usually make this cabbage dish with actual bacon, but didn't have any on hand tonight. Just a teaspoon of bacon drippings used in place of cooking oil added all the bacon flavor I needed. If you buy and cook bacon in your house, start a little jar for the bacon fat to keep in your fridge. You'll be amazed at how much flavor just a little can bring to the right recipe. It's no wonder our grandmothers' cooking tasted so good!

No comments: