Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday Dinner

The Kid is away at a youth retreat this week. Knowing that we'd only have 2 for dinner most nights (unless my sister stopped by), I stocked up on a few meals for two.

Tonight we had a Bertolli skillet meal. I'm not a big fan of these due to their price. At their cheapest ($6 and change at WalMart), they're overpriced by a few bucks. At their highest ($8 - $9 at Harris Teeter), they're twice what I think they're worth. So I don't buy them unless a sale and/or coupon brings them down to under $5. Luckily, I had a coupon for $1.50 off, plus a raincheck to get them for $5.50 (post on rainchecks is forthcoming, I promise). So for $4, I think they're a reasonable meal for 2. The variety we had was Grilled Steak with Portobello mushrooms. It consisted of steak strips, mushrooms, spinach, yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes and pasta in a garlic-butter sauce. Good but not great - the convenience is the real draw here. These always look better than they taste (another reason I think they're way overpriced.)

Totals:

$4 - Bertolli skillet meal
.50 - garlic bread (2 slices from 8-slice box of Pepperidge Farm)

$4.50 for dinner for 2

No comments: