Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday Dinner

Tonight I took advantage of the fabulous deal I got on shredded cheese the other week (Lowe's Foods Buy 2, Get 3 free sale + coupons). I made a big casserole dish of homemade macaroni and cheese.

I know most people consider mac & cheese to be a side dish, but I think it's so rich and heavy it works better as an entree. I typically just serve it with plain fruits and/or vegetables. Tonight we had mandarin oranges in raspberry jello and green beans. . As much as I love Southern style green beans, cooked all day with fatback, I don't usually have the time or inclination. So I usually just heat up a can, which is immensely improved with a teaspoon of instant chicken bullion granules stirred in.

Totals:

$2 - mac & cheese (with plenty of leftovers)
.50 - green beans
.75 - mandarin oranges
.50 - jello

$3.75 for dinner for 3.

2 comments:

Emma said...

Thanks for setting up this blog! (I asked some questions about Aldi's and coupon hunting...which have both been very helpful for myself and my husband!)

Today was really the first grocery trip where I used practically all coupons on most items - my husband was even pumped about the savings we racked up on! I also found a cute little coupon organizer and felt so invigorated whipping those bad boys out and watching the price plummet. amazing! I'm officially a failthful reader already! :-)

GSO Foodie said...

Welcome, Emma! Glad to have you! I'm all too familiar with that sense of exhilaration that comes from watching the grocery bill shrink - all I can say is, welcome to your latest obsession! But it's an obsession that will serve you and your family very well. :)