Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Dinner

I managed to throw some boneless chicken on the grill last night along with the steaks. So tonight we had grilled chicken caesar salads.

Before grilling, the chicken was marinated for about 3 hours in Mrs. Dash Garlic-Herb (with a hint of orange) marinade. It was delicious. The marinade is $3 a bottle, but I got it for .50 after BOGO sale + doubled coupon. I think this is a good example of letting sales and coupons direct at least part of your grocery buying. You end up with things you wouldn't normally buy, and are often pleasantly surprised by what you can put together with them. It's great for breaking out of cooking ruts.

For my caesar salad, I tore up hearts of romaine (discarding the thick stems). I tossed in a large bowl with caesar dressing and grated parmesan. Then I added last night's leftover grilled garlic bread, reheated and torn into bite-sized chunks. These made for nice, rustic-style croutons. I divided salad onto individual plates, and topped with warm chicken tenders. This was as good as any restaurant grilled chicken caesar salad.

Totals:

$1.66 - frozen chicken tenders bought on sale at Lowes Foods
$1.33 - 2/3 of a $2 bag of hearts of romaine
Dressing free after triple coupons, bread accounted for in last night's meal

$3 for dinner for 3

No comments: