Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Dinner

Sunday is becoming "grill night" at our house. Tonight I cooked a London Broil, plus other meats for later in the week. I marinated the beef in Balsamic and Roasted Onion marinade (Ken's Steakhouse brand, bought for about 50 cents a bottle with triple coupon), then grilled to medium-rare. I covered the meat with foil and let rest while making the rest of dinner. On the side we had Japanese steakhouse-style Zucchini and Onions, plus mushroom rice pilaf from a mix. For the veggies, I cut 1 onion and 2 zucchini into 1" chunks. I stir-fried the onion in 1 Tablespoon of oil, over high heat, for about 5 minutes before adding the zucchini. I continued to cook for 10 more minutes or until it was tender, then added about 1 tablespoon each of soy sauce and teriyaki sauce, then topped it with toasted sesame seeds. To serve the steak, I cut into thin slices on the diagonal - this helps tenderize an otherwise tough cut of meat.

Totals:

$4.22 - 2 lbs London Broil (BOGO + meat markdown at Harris Teeter)
.15 - Knorr/Lipton Mushroom Rice side mix (Harris Teeter triple coupons)
free - zucchini from my garden

$4.37 - dinner for 4 (sister ate with us), plus plenty of steak left over for another dish I have planned

TIP: Sesame Seeds vary wildly in price, depending on where in the grocery store you get them. The little 1 oz. jar of McCormick brand - found among the spices - is $4.39 at Harris Teeter. The larger 1.82 oz. jar of McCormick brand is $5.49. But Sushi Chef brand, sold among the Asian foods, is $2.99 for 3.75 oz. Also, you should store sesame seeds in the fridge once you've opened them - they go rancid very quickly at room temperature.

No comments: