Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Dinner

First of all, the homemade salsa was a bust.

It tasted great, but was WAY too much work for the final payoff. It had been years since I'd made it, so I'd forgotten a few tips along the way. Most importantly - use BIG tomatoes. There's nothing left of the little ones after skinning and seeding them. That contributed greatly to the "just not worth it" factor for this batch, because all I had was a bunch of medium to small ones. Oh well, at least I used them all up and they won't be sitting on my kitchen counter anymore, staring at me.

Dinner tonight was steak soft tacos. Basically the same as the fajitas I usually make, but without the sauteed onion and pepper. (After all the dicing and chopping I did for salsa this afternoon, I was done.) I took my own advice and marinated and cooked the skirt steak whole and it turned out beautifully - just as tender as the strips, with half the work and mess. I just marinated in Lawry's Tequila-Lime marinade and grilled them on the George Foreman for about 3 minutes. I let the steaks rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain. Those steak slices were so tender they melted in our mouths. We passed shredded cheese and homemade salsa at the table, and I cooked up a package of Simply Potatoes southwest hash browns on the side.

Totals:

$4 - steak
.75 - tortillas
.75 - hash browns
free - salsa ingredients

$5.50 for dinner for 3

No comments: