Saturday, August 22, 2009

Saturday Dinner

Tonight we had meatballs in Mr. Yoshida's sauce, white rice, and stir-fried squash, zucchini and onions (Japanese steakhouse style).

I admit that meatballs aren't my favorite, but The Kid adores them. So I pick up a bag or two when they're on sale BOGO, which happens frequently at both Food Lion and Harris Teeter. I've mentioned Mr. Yoshida's Sauce before - it's a thick, sweet, Teriyaki-type sauce sold in huge bottles at Costco. I just heat 1/2 a bag of meatballs in about 1 cup of sauce, then serve over rice. For the veggies, I cut up 1 onion, 1 zucchini and 1 squash into 1" chunks. I stir-fried the onion in about 1 T. oil for about 5 minutes first, then added zucchini, squash, and about 1 T. soy sauce and continued to stir-fry for about 10 more minutes. I drizzled with sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds at the end.

Totals:

$1.75 - meatballs (about $3.50/bag BOGO - used about 1/2 bag)
free - zucchini & squash from garden
.75 - additional ingredients (sauce, rice, onion, etc.)

$2.50 for dinner for 5 (includes sister & brother-in-law)

No comments: