Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I'm Back! + Monday Dinner + Triple Coupon Adventures

The yard sale was a resounding success, but it took a lot out of me. After three 12-hour days in a row setting up, selling, and breaking down, I fell into bed Saturday night and slept like the dead for 13 hours straight.

Sunday night I took everyone (including extended family) out to dinner as a 'thank you' for all their help with the sale.
_________________________________

Monday I was back to cooking, but just barely. I picked up one of those new Wanchai Ferry frozen dinner-in-a-bag kits at Harris Teeter because they were on sale and I had a coupon. The verdict: Very, very tasty (Orange Chicken variety), but when they say it serves 2, they mean it. We were able to stretch to 3 servings by adding extra rice, but it wouldn't have worked if any of us had been really hungry. Way overpriced at $8.99;still someone overpriced at $5.99 on sale; about right at $3.99 with sale + $2 coupon.

Totals:

$3.99 - Wanchai Ferry dinner kit
free - Uncle Ben's Ready Rice (Jasmine Rice variety) - had free product coupon

________________________

Harris Teeter was out of quite a few items which would have been free or nearly free after triple coupons. It's my understanding they were out at the warehouse, too - it appears everyone had the same coupons at once. Oh well, that was to be expected after having to wait until Monday to do my coupon shopping. Still, I made out pretty well.

Price before VIC card was scanned: $102.XX

Price after VIC card was scanned (and sales and BOGO items came off): $74.XX

Price after coupons: $28.XX

Total groceries included several meat markdowns and coupons for $1 or more that didn't triple. So while it wasn't a personal best, I'm still quite pleased.

No comments: