Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday Dinner

I was out of town for the weekend, visiting an old friend and getting a little more post-virus restoration work done on my computer. (It's about 80% back to its old self.) As a bonus, I got to stop by Trader Joe's in Chapel Hill on the drive back. As is my habit at Trader Joe's, I pick up a few old favorites and try a few "new to me" items.

Dinner tonight was one of the old favorites - BBQ Teriyakki Chicken. It's quick and effortless, which is just what I needed after driving, unloading the car, and then taking care of the garden in this ghastly heat. (It was in desperate need of both harvesting and watering.) Along with the chicken, I made white rice and a steamable bag of broccoli florets. As I've said before, these steam-in-the-bag veggies are improved immensely with a little doctoring at the end of cooking. I tossed in about 1 T. soy sauce and a drop or two of sesame oil. I would also have added some toasted sesame seeds if I hadn't been to tired/lazy to toast some tonight.

Totals:

$4.99 - BBQ Teriyakki Chicken
$1.25 - broccoli florets
.25 - white rice

$5.49 for dinner for 3, with leftovers for a large snack or small meal. (The Kid will probably snag the plate before bed.)

No comments: