Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday Dinner

Last week I picked up a package of turkey breast cutlets on markdown for $3.75 (down from $5-something a pound). Tonight I turned them into Turkey Piccata, which I served with thin spaghetti and (frozen, packaged) creamed spinach.

To make the Piccata, first I pounded the turkey cutlets thin with the back of a heavy skillet. I seasoned with salt and pepper, then dipped in flour. I dunked them in a mixture of beaten egg and little milk, then back into the flour to coat well. I sauteed them over medium-high heat in a mixture of butter and oil (about 1 Tablespoon of each) until browned and crispy (about 2 minutes per side). Then I removed them from the pan and made the sauce. To the hot pan I added about 1 cup chicken broth and the juice of 1 lemon, then let that boil down for about 3 minutes, scraping up all the little browned bits. When it was reduced by about 1/2, I swirled in a pat of butter and added about 1 teaspoon capers and salt and pepper to taste. To serve, I topped individual servings of pasta with a turkey cutlet, then poured the sauce over.

Totals:

$3.75 - turkey
.50 - pasta
.66 - creamed spinach (BOGO + coupon)

$4.91 for dinner for 3 (with leftovers for 1 more serving)

No comments: