Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday Dinner

Tonight's dinner was a mix of homemade and ready-made. I cooked Chicken Fried Rice from stratch, and rounded out the meal with ready-made egg rolls.

For the fried rice, I cut 2 boneless chicken breasts into cubes and marinated in soy sauce for about an hour. I tossed them in a little cornstarch (my secret) and stir-fried in a little oil until browned and crispy. I removed them from the pan and added 2 eggs, lightly beaten, then cooked until they were scrambled and set. I set these aside with the chicken. I added a bit more oil to the pan and stir-fried 1 chopped onion for about 5 minutes, then added 1 tsp. garlic and cooked another minute. I added 3 cups cold cooked rice (I cooked this morning) and stir-fried everything for about 3 minutes, adding about 3 Tablespoons soy sauce. At the end, I stirred in 1/2 of an 8oz package frozen peas, the chicken and the scrambled egg, and let cook another few minutes or until everything was heated through.

The egg rolls are a brand I've only seen sold at WalMart, in the deli cases up front. $2.50 for a package of 5. I usually get the the shrimp variety, which is low-fat ( 3 grams per egg roll) and delicious.

On Michelle's suggestion (Hi Michelle!), I'm going to start posting photos of my meals when possible. Of course, some things just won't lend themselves to photos, and I'm sure I'll have photos that won't come out well, but I'm going to try and make them a regular part of this blog.

Totals:

$1.50 - chicken (about 12 oz. purchased at HT BOGO sale)
.41 - 1/2 package peas
.20 - rice
.25 - onion
.15 - eggs

$2.50 - egg rolls

$5.01 for dinner for 4 (sister joined us)

No comments: