Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wednesday Dinner

Tonight I put together a nice salad with romaine lettuce, roasted cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomato glazed chicken, gorgonzola cheese crumbles, and everyone's dressing of choice. On the side, I served a loaf of bread fresh from the bread machine.

The yellow cherry tomatoes came from my garden. I tossed them in about 1 T. olive oil, sprinkled with salt (I used garlic salt) and pepper, and roasted on a baking sheet at 400 for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. It's amazing how much it concentrates the flavor - it also really brings out their natural sweetness.

I also sauteed up some cubed boneless chicken breasts in Kraft Sundried Tomato Vinaigrette. I love using this technique because the dressing cooks down to a thick, syrupy glaze on the chicken. The trick is to keep cooking until all the liquid in the pan is gone, the chicken is browned and the dressing is just coating the chicken.

Totals:

.66 - 1 head of romaine (bag of 3 for $2 at Aldi)
$1.33 - chicken (Buy 1, get 2 free at Harris Teeter)
.50 - ingredients for bread
.25 - cheese, salad dressing
free - tomatoes

$2.74 for dinner for 3

Over 1/2 loaf of bread left over, plus plenty of chicken and roasted tomatoes for more salads

No comments: