Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday Dinner

I picked up 2 Eye of Round roasts the last time Lowes Foods had them on sale for $2/lb and decided to cook one tonight.

I used a method I've used before - High Temperature Eye of Round Roast. It came out very nice - medium and reasonably tender (this is a very tough cut of meat) with a lovely brown flavorful crust. But I still need to do some tweaking because I'd like mine to be more on the rare side.

With the roast we had homemade mashed potatoes (courtesy of this week's Harris Teeter eVic special - 5 lb bag/.97). I also made homemade gravy with the pan drippings and some beef broth that's been open in my fridge for awhile. For a green vegetable I steamed some fresh brussels sprouts (also on sale this week at HT), because they're a favorite with the rest of my family. I thought I might like the fresh variety better than frozen, and it would be a special treat for the sprouts-lovers. Nope. Turns out they preferred the frozen variety. So that's the last time I'll spend extra time & money on the fresh ones. (And I've decided to stop trying to like them. I hate them and that's that.)

Lots of beef leftover (I'm thinking open-faced sandwiches w/ gravy in a few days), and I purposely made a double batch of mashed potatoes so I'd have leftovers to use in a recipe (also planned for the next few days.).

Totals:

$5.08 - beef roast
$1.50 - brussels sprouts
.50 - potatoes

$7.08 for dinner for 4 (sister joined us)

No comments: