Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tuesday Dinner

Tonight's dinner was all about using up leftovers. I'll always remember an interview I saw with a successful chef & restaurateur. He said, "If you want to last in this business, you have to find a way to use your leftovers." I took that advice to heart as a frugal home cook, too. Throwing away leftovers is throwing away money - if a restaurant can't do it and expect to stay in business, I can't do it and expect to stay on budget. So I make a concerted effort to use up all our leftovers - if not down to the last bite, then at least down the the last meal-sized portion.

We had lots of leftover beef roast from the other night. Since this is a tough cut (and it was a bit overcooked to begin with, making it tougher), I chopped it as finely as I could. I heated it with the leftover gravy, and served beef & gravy over toast. On the side I served steam-in-the-bag broccoli in cheese sauce.

Total cost for tonight's dinner: FREE

The beef & gravy were accounted for on the night they were cooked. The broccoli in cheese sauce was free after sale + triple coupon. OK, I suppose I could calculate the cost for 3 slices of bread but that seems a little obsessive - besides, I'd buy bread for toast and sandwiches even if we never ate dinner at home.

No comments: