Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wednesday Dinner


Tonight's dinner was also about using up leftovers - in this case, the rest of the Tequila-Lime turkey tenderloin that I cooked last week. I didn't want it again "plain," so I knew I'd have to find a way to use it as an ingredient in something else. I fiddled around in the kitchen and came up with a soup recipe so good I'd make it on its own merits, leftovers or no. It was rich and spicy and tasted like it had simmered all day - but it took me less than 30 minutes to put on the table.

I topped each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of Texas Toast Southwest Tortilla Strips - these are sold next to the croutons and I bought them because they were only about .40 after tripled coupon. (I would have preferred them if they'd been made from flour tortillas. Since they were made from corn tortillas, they were really just Doritos in thin strips. I wouldn't buy again unless they were free or almost free after coupon.) I also made cheese quesadillas (just cheddar/jack blend grilled between flour tortillas) to round out the meal.

Southwest Turkey-Corn Chowder

3 T. butter or margarine
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
3 T. flour
32 oz. chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained (Ro-Tel)
1 14 oz. can corn, drained
leftover diced, cooked turkey tenderloin (about 1 cup meat)

In large saucepan or soup pot, saute onions in butter over medium-high heat until soft and lightly browned. Add garlic and saute another minute. Add flour and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 3 - 4 minutes. Add chicken broth and stir with a wisk to break up lumps. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, add tomatoes, corn and turkey and heat through. Serve in bowls topped with sour cream and crushed tortilla chips (optional).

Totals:

free - turkey tenderloin (accounted for the first night it was cooked)
$1.33 - 32 oz. carton chicken broth
.33 - corn (HT 3/$1 the other week)
.50 - Ro-tel tomatoes w/ green chiles (purchased on sale + coupon)
$1.50 - cheese & tortillas for quesadillas

$3.66 for dinner for 3 (with more soup leftover for lunches)

No comments: