Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Monday Dinner

Yesterday was a busy day and I was short on energy and creativity by dinnertime. So I pulled out 3 Butterball Turkey Mignon fillets and pan-fried them (Lowes Foods sale + InstaSave coupon a few weeks ago), heated a can of green beans (HT 3/$1) in leftover beef broth for extra flavor, opened a can of cranberry sauce (Aldi - cheapest place to get this "off season") and followed directions for a package of Knorr/Lipton Mushroom Rice (.5 after BOGO + triple coupons). The result was a hot, tasty meal that was on the table in about 20 minutes, even though nobody is going to write home about how wonderful it was. Eh...we all have those, I guess. The idea is to accept that I'm going to have busy and/or no-energy nights and plan for them accordingly. Sometimes they'll happen on nights I wasn't expecting them to happen, like last night. So I strive to keep quick & easy dinners on hand so I don't resort to eating out or making an expensive "express lane" run to the grocery store. (Not that I dislike eating out. On the contrary, I love it. But it's expensive, and I'd rather do it because I want to, not because I have to.)

Totals:

$3.75 - Turkey Mignons (package of 4/$4.99)
.33 - green beans
.75 - cranberry sauce
.5 - rice mix

$4.88 for dinner for 3

No comments: