Monday, October 19, 2009

Weekend Dinners

Sorry I didn't get around to posting these in a more timely manner. It was a busy weekend, filled with errands and planned functions and Science and Social Studies projects for The Kid. (Why do they always wait to tell you they need help until the last weekend before they're due? I think I'd solve one of life's great Mom mysteries if I could answer that one.)

Anyway, with everything that was going on, the focus wasn't much on cooking or bargain shopping, I'm afraid. So it was a weekend full of quick & easy.

Friday we had Ruebens and oven-roasted potatoes, just like the dinner a week or two back. The only change was the jello/fruit combination. This time it was fruit cocktail in orange jello.

Friday Totals:

$1.80 - pastrami
$1.50 - 3/4 package swiss
.80 - 1/3 loaf rye bread
.50 - canned fruit (HT 2/$1 sale)
free - jello (after triple coupons)
.50 - 1 packet onion soup mix (after double coupons)
.80 - potatoes (10 lb bag/$3.99 Lowes Foods)

$5.90 for dinner for 3 (with leftover potatoes & jello/fruit)

___________________

Saturday was the busiest day, so it was primarily a "heat n' serve" dinner. I baked potatoes, then topped them with canned chili and shredded cheddar cheese. The chili was new to me - it was Hormel and I think it's called the Chili Masters brand. It's sold in glass jars instead of cans. WalMart has it for $2.50 a jar, and I had a coupon for $2, so of course I was going to try it. I got the White Chicken Chili variety. The verdict: good, but nothing special. I've had better chili from a can, and the chicken had a weird, hard texture to it. So I might try another variety of this brand if I have another coupon, but I won't get the white chicken chili again.

Totals:

$1.20 - 2 8oz russet potatoes ($3.99 for 10 lb bag at Lowes Foods)
.50 - jar Hormel chili ($2.50 at WalMart minus $2 coupon)
.50 - shredded cheese

$2.20 f0r dinner for 3

___________________


Sunday night we had our old stand-by of Breakfast for Dinner. I made Bacon, Egg & Cheese biscuits and hash browns, and served OJ to drink. My sister is usually around on Sunday, and she joined us for dinner, too.

Totals:

.73 - Grands Biscuits (8 ct. can - BOGO + double coupon at HT)
.26 - 8 eggs (InstaSave offer for .39/dozen at Lowes Foods)
.75 - 1/2 package of bacon (stocked up during B2G3 sale at HT awhile back)
free - cheese (HT meal deal)
.40 - Simply Potatoes hash browns (BOGO + Super Double coupon at HT)
.33 - OJ (InstaSave offer for $1/carton at Lowes Foods)

$2.47 for dinner for 4, with 3 Bacon, Egg & Cheese biscuits left over for breakfasts this week

No comments: