Monday, November 30, 2009

Monday Dinner

Pizza with spinach, carmelized onions, mushrooms, and gorgonzola.

Pizza with bacon, pineapple, and cheddar/jack cheese (modified Hawaiian).


Passing by a display of ready-made pizza crust made me realize I hadn't made homemade pizza in ages. I knew I already had quite a few of the ingredients at home, so it was easy enough to just pick up the few items I needed.

I used a Mama Maria whole wheat crust (2 to a package, in the pasta aisle at WalMart) and Ragu Pizza Quick sauce for both. I probably won't buy the whole wheat crust again because it overpowered the other flavors, and was rather bitter. However, I've had good luck with this brand's "regular" crust in the past, so I'll go back to that.

For the first pizza, I made a modified Hawaiian pizza - modified because I didn't have any ham, but I had plenty of bacon. After spreading with sauce and topping with mozzarella, I layed on 4 slices of cooked, diced bacon and about 1/3 can drained pineapple tidbits. Then I finished with about 3/4 cup shredded cheddar & jack cheese blend.

For the second pizza, I thinly sliced a small onion and sauteed it in a little of the bacon fat leftover from the first pizza. When the onions began to carmelize I added about 1/3 of a 1lb package of sliced mushrooms and sauteed for a few more minutes. I spread the crust with sauce & mozzarella as I did above, then I layered on about 1/3 package of fresh spinach, the sauteed onions and mushrooms, about 1/2 cup more mozzarella cheese, and about 2 T. gorgonzola crumbles. I baked both pizzas together at 425 for about 18 minutes, rotating them from top to bottom rack about halfway through.

Totals:

$3.48 - crust
$1 - sauce
$2 - cheese
$2 - other ingredients

$8.48 for dinner for 3, with 1 serving leftover for lunch tomorrow

No comments: