Saturday, December 12, 2009

Harris Teeter Deals & Saturday Dinner

Marinated Grilled Tuna Medallions, Jasmine Rice, Edamame


I was so busy today, I didn't think about dinner until 3pm or so. That's when I realized that although my freezer was packed, there wasn't a lot there for quick n' easy meals. Almost everything I had was time and labor-intensive, plus needed to be thawed on top of that. So I did something this afternoon that I almost never do. I made a quick "dinner run" to Harris Teeter. I thought I'd just pick up a frozen pizza and be done with it. But - lucky me! - I ran into a wealth of wonderful meat and seafood markdowns. The meat manager said he'd marked things down first thing in the morning, then marked them even lower for the evening so they'd move and he wouldn't have to throw them out.

I got a pound of fresh tuna medallions for $3.22 (down from $8.99 per lb), flank steak rolls stuffed with cheese and spinach for $1.15 (for the whole package!), plus boneless chicken thighs and Angus Reserve skirt steak. The skirt steak was an especially good find, because yesterday I got an eVic offer in my email for $3 off my total purchase if I bought Angus Reserve skirt steak or flank steak. The price of my 2 packages of skirt steak would have been over $12 at full price. But after markdown and the extra $3 off at the register, I only paid $2.38 total!

Harris Teeter had a lot of other good deals today with coupons. Texas Toast croutons were free after a .50 coupon was doubled. Green Giant boxed vegetables were .49 for the first one (eVic special), and .99 for others after that. A coupon for .60 off 3 was doubled, bringing the price to $1.29 for 3 boxes, or .43 each. Birdseye Voila frozen bag-to-skillet dinners are BOGO. Add a coupon for $1 off 2, and you can get 2 bags for $4.15 total.

So my quick "dinner run" turned into a major shopping trip, but I got a lot of good dinners for tonight and the next few nights.

For tonight, I marinated the tuna medallions in Ken's Steakhouse Sesame & Ginger marinade that was free after triple coupons a few months ago. (The bottle has been unopened, in my pantry.) I grilled the tuna on the George Foreman, made jasmine rice, and steam-in-the-bag edamame. The tuna needed just a little extra "oomph" at the table, so I mixed up a quick dipping sauce of wasabi paste and soy sauce.

Totals:

$3. 22 - tuna
free - marinade
.50 - jasmine rice
$1.33 - edamame (Pictsweet 3/$4 at HT this week)

$5.05 for dinner for 3

No comments: