Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Monday Dinner

Citrus Shrimp with rice and Sesame Broccoli

Monday's dinner was a replica of one I've made many times before (the photo is from a previous night, too). Here is my original recipe, based on one I got from a personal chef:

Citrus Shrimp and Sesame Broccoli


However, since I'm always tweaking my recipes based on need or whim, I didn't make it quite like usual last night.

First off, I had a whole 2-lb bag of shrimp that had been in my freezer for too long and needed to go. (Usually I just use 1/2 bag and save the rest.) Second, I didn't have any fresh oranges. Third, I was lazy after peeling a whole 2 lbs of shrimp and wanted as many shortcuts as possible after that. So instead of fresh garlic, I sprinkled the shrimp all over with garlic salt. Instead of fresh juice and zest from lemons and oranges, I just used OJ from the fridge. The result: almost (but not quite) as good as the original. Nobody complained, and I don't think anybody wondered "what was wrong" but I just didn't get all the raves and lip-smacking that usually accompany this dish. So I'll probably do it the "right" way when I have the time, but know this is an acceptable fall-back.

Totals:

$6 - shrimp (2 lbs)
.50 - broccoli (BOGO + double coupon)
.25- OJ

$6.75 for dinner for 3, with 2 full servings of everything left over.

No comments: