Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wednesday Dinner

Tonight's dinner was about using up some odds and ends before they had to be thrown out - 1/2 a bag of fresh spinach, gorzonzola crumbles, a can of french onion soup that got opened by mistake, french bread, etc.

I made French Onion soup topped with bread and gooey melted cheese - traditional "steak house" way. I served this with spinach salads topped with grilled chicken breasts, toasted pecans, dried cranberries, and gorgonzola cheese crumbles. Everybody had their dressing of choice at the table (Bleu Cheese and Honey Mustard being my favorites for this salad.)

I was out of bottled marinade (which I only buy when free or nearly free after sale + coupons), so I whipped up my own with a little OJ, the juice from some canned pineapple (another fridge leftover I'll need to get to soon), garlic salt & Mrs. Dash. I marinated them all afternoon, and grilled them on the George Foreman for about 4 minutes. They were tender and delicious, without being too strongly seasoned on their own.

Totals:

$1 - French Onion soup (Progresso brand, .50/can after sale + coupons)
$1 - French Bread & mozzarella cheese
$1 - 1/2 bag fresh spinach (from Aldi)
$1.50 - chicken breasts (BOGO frozen bags from HT)
.50 - misc. salad toppings

$5 for dinner for 3

No comments: