Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!

I've actually been back in the kitchen for the last couple of nights, but the dinners are so close to what I served just before Christmas that all you have to do is scroll down a little to get the complete cost breakdowns. (That's my polite way of saying I'm too lazy to do all the calculations tonight. But, as is always the case with non-holiday dinners, my goal is to average $5 or less per meal.)

Wednesday night we had Crunchy Shrimp Stir-Fry because I was craving something non-rich and non-creamy with lots of vegetables.

Thursday night was cheeseburgers and fries made with another package of hamburger that was free after triple coupons last month. (It's been in my freezer since then, obvs.) I sprinkled the patties with garlic salt and Smokehouse black pepper, grilled them on the George Foreman, then topped with sliced pepperjack cheese and served on potato rolls. The fries were oven-fries, also sprinkled with garlic salt.

I'm not much of a traditionalist when it comes to food, so New Year's Day was celebrated at my house with Curried Coconut Chicken, served over rice. (Sister joined us.)

And tonight, Saturday, I made steak soft tacos much like the steak fajitas a few posts down. I used the skirt steak I got for $1.19/package and marinated it in McCormick Mesquite marinade, prepared according to package directions. After grilling on the George Foreman, I let rest for 5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain. This was served on heated tortillas with refried beans, salsa, sour cream and shredded cheese.

I hope everyone had wonderful holidays. :)

No comments: