Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Dinner

It was too darn cold to go out today if you didn't absolutely need do, so I convinced myself I didn't absolutely need to. So pickins' for dinner were a bit slim, but I made do. I made Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuits with a side of fruit. The biscuits were canned Grands, bought on sale + coupon (not sure if it was doubled or tripled) for about .50 per can. And I have a freezer full of bacon because it seemed to be on sale every other week last fall. I haven't kept track of what I paid for each package, but it all shakes out to about $1.50 apiece. The fruit was just a can of pineapple chunks (.85 each after sale + double coupon) mixed with a can of mandarin oranges (.60 each on sale), but it was refreshing and delicious.

The Kid especially likes this dinner because I make as many biscuit sandwiches as I have biscuits, so there's leftovers for breakfast (as opposed to oatmeal or cold cereal with milk, which is the school-morning norm). I refrigerate the extras wrapped individually in plastic wrap, and reheat them (still wrapped) at 50% power for 2 minutes.

Funny quote from my kid: "Mom, there's one piece of bacon left." (Puts up fists and narrows eyes...) "I'll fight you for it."

Totals:

.50 - biscuits (8)
.75 - 1/2 package bacon
.66 - 8 eggs
$1 - 8 slices cheese
.85 - pineapple
.60 - mandarin oranges

$4.36 for dinner for 3, plus 3 leftover biscuit sandwiches for breakfasts

No comments: