Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday Dinner

I wasn't much in the mood for cooking tonight. I didn't have a particularly busy day so I have no excuse other than I just didn't feel like it. But thanks to recent sales and super double coupons, my fridge, freezer and pantry are extraordinarily well stocked with heat n' eat type meals right now.

The entree was a ready-to-serve Jack Daniel's BBQ Beef Brisket. As I mentioned the other week, I had a raincheck for another brand of heat n' serve entrees that Harris Teeter discontinued, so they honored the raincheck on any brand in stock. This is one of the entrees that I chose and it was entirely new to us; we'd never tried this brand before. The reviews were mixed. One of us loved it, one of us merely liked it, and one of us got a particularly black-peppery piece and coughed and choked through the rest of dinner. So take that for what it's worth and be warned if you decide to try this brand.

On the side we had a package of buttered noodles from Lipton/Knorr. It's not that I can't boil noodles and add butter and parsley myself - y'all know that's not the issue. But this is a product that puts out frequent coupons. Also, and I'm not at all sure why this happens, but it always seems to be on sale BOGO during Harris Teeter triple coupons weeks. At that point it's either free or .04 - .07 per package, and y'all know I just can't pass that up. It's like a sickness. (grin)

Rounding out the meal was plain ol' canned corn, heated with butter, salt and pepper. I probably should have served something green, but I wasn't crazy about the choices I had in the house. Besides, something about BBQ cries out for corn to me.

Totals:

$3 - beef brisket (after rain check + super double coupons)
.05 - Knorr/Lipton buttered noodles side dish
.33 - canned corn (HT brand 3/$1 sale awhile back)

$3.38 for dinner for 3, with another serving of everything left over

No comments: