Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday


Both spaghetti and ricotta cheese were on sale at Harris Teeter last week, and I had 1/2 a bag of fresh spinach and a few lemons to use up, so running across this recipe was serendipitous. It couldn't be more simple - boil spaghetti, drain, then toss the hot pasta with fresh spinach leaves, olive oil, a little of the pasta cooking water, and ricotta cheese to which you've added lemon zest, nutmeg, salt & pepper. (I added the juice of 1 lemon, too, although recipe didn't call for it.) The result was simple, tasty and good. I do think it's more of a spring/summer meal than a winter one, and I have a feeling we'll all be hungry again long before bedtime. So while I'll definitely be making this one again, I think I'll pair it with grilled chicken or shrimp next time.

Wednesday Totals:

.50 - spaghetti
$1 - 1/2 bag spinach
.75 - ricotta
.25 - lemon

$2.50 for dinner for 3 (with lots left over - recipe claims to serve 4 but I think it's more like 5 - 6)

______________

Monday and Tuesday dinners were nothing special because I was busy both days. Monday we had Wanchai Ferry (bag to skillet) Orange Chicken, and a box of frozen egg rolls. Both were purchased when Harris Teeter was doubling coupons up to $1.98, and I had a raincheck on the skillet dinner besides. Tuesday we just threw a couple of frozen pizzas in the oven - purchased BOGO + coupons.

Monday totals: $6.50 for dinner for 3

Tuesday totals: $4 for dinner for 3

No comments: