Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tuesday & Wednesday Dinners + Making Markdowns Happen

Tuesday was another of my busy days, so I put together a largely heat n' eat meal when I got home. Jack Daniels Sliced Beef Brisket in BBQ Sauce (heat n' eat entree), packaged buttered noodles, and a combination of leftover veggies from the fridge. Nothing to write home about, but everyone was satisfied...plus there was Italian Love Cake for dessert.

Tuesday Totals:

$3 - beef brisket (rain check for BOGO)
.04 - Knorr/Lipton Buttered Noodles (after triple coupons)
.20 - butter and milk for noodles
free - leftover veggies

$3.24 for dinner for 3

_____________

Wednesday also turned out to be a busy day. The Kid was out of school (along with the rest of GCS students), so we took advantage of the free day and got a lot of shopping and errands out of the way (including a rather expensive trip to Michael's for social studies & science project supplies). A quick grocery trip to pick up a few essentials netted me some great meat markdowns (including ground beef), so I picked up buns and frozen fries for a Cheeseburger & Fries meal.

Totals:

$1.25 - ground beef
$1 - buns (1/2 package)
$1 - fries (1/2 package)
.30 - cheese

$3.55 for dinner for 3


______________

Make friends with the employees at your local grocery store, especially Harris Teeter. These people are invaluable for helping you get the best deals and special finds.

Case in point: This week I was browsing the imported/specialty cheese counter at a local Harris Teeter. I struck up a conversation with the employee behind the counter. She pointed to a basket with 2 large wedges of cheese in it and told me to always look in that basket for "Manager's Specials" - code for markdowns. I looked over the contents and remarked that $5 was still too expensive for me. She said, "Let me see the dates on those....how about $2 apiece?" I agreed, and she marked them down on the spot. Keep in mind these would have been $8 - $10 apiece at full price. So now we have some exceptional snacking cheese in the house for less than a package of store-brand American would have cost.

A Harris Teeter deli manager sold me a food-service sized bag of chipotle mayo at less than his cost after I commented on how much I loved it but couldn't find a comparable product on their shelves.

I offered to buy several marked down seafood items if the seafood manager could go a little lower on the price. He agreed because he'd rather see it sold than thrown away.

I got several good meat & seafood markdowns yesterday, but two were really exceptional deals: .50 for a nice piece of smoked salmon (regularly $4.99), and $4.25 for a $17+ boneless leg of lamb. The lamb went into the freezer and the salmon is going to be a snack with cream cheese and crackers this evening.

No comments: