Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Monday Dinner

Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Asparagus

I had a very good excuse for not posting about dinner last night. The batteries in my camera died as soon as I took pictures, and I had to recharge them before uploading to my computer.

I roasted an eye of round beef roast in the oven (purchased at $2/lb from Lowes Foods awhile back), made a package of instant mashed potatoes (loaded baked potato flavor - free after triple coupons at Harris Teeter), and roasted fresh asparagus spears. Dinner was delicious - a special occasion meal on a nothin' special evening.

My roast was only 2 lbs, so I modified the High Temp roasting method. I roasted it at 450 for 20 minutes, then turned off the oven and let it continue roasting as the oven cooled. I used a meat thermometer to alert me when the center was 130 degrees (medium rare), which only took about 45 minutes. It was juicy and as tender as this tough cut is going to get, and tasted great with a little horseradish on the side.

Totals:

$3.80 - beef roast
$1.69 - asparagus
free - potato mix

$5.49 for dinner for 3 (with beef left over)

No comments: