Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tuesday & Wednesday Dinners

I'm dealing with some chronic pain issues this week, folks, and the necessary meds have zapped all my energy. So please bear with me if I'm late with postings...

Tuesday is a busy day for us. The Kid and I have a function right after school, so we don't walk in the house until 5:30pm or so. So dinner needs to be quick and easy. I have a stockpile of Hamburger Helper mixes that I've gotten for less than .50 each after BOGO, triple coupons, etc. With all the free and .12/lb hamburger I got during the last triple coupon binge, there's just no excuse not to use it.

Totals:

.50 - Hamburger Helper
free - hamburger
.33 - Grands biscuits (after sale + triple coupons)
.33 - green beans (HT sale)

$1.16 for dinner for 3

__________

I made a great roast chicken for dinner Wednesday. If I'd browned it beforehand to crisp up the skin (I didn't), it would have made a great dish for company. As it was, the skin wasn't crisp (so I removed it after cooking) and the chicken was too pale to look really appetizing. But it was still delicious.

For the chicken, I just melted about 2T. butter in a baking dish, added chicken thighs and turned to coat, then sprinkled all over with Cavendar's Greek Seasoning and the juice of 1 lemon. I baked at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until done. The pan juices in this dish are the best part - spoon them over rice or serve the pan at the table with crusty bread for dipping. I did both, as well as made steam-in-the-bag broccoli & cheese. ( If you browned the chicken first, and baked in a pretty crockery baking dish, this would be beautiful to sit in the center of the table for dipping.)

Totals:

$2.26 - chicken thighs
.20 - rice
.50 - lemon
.50 - homemade bread (bread machine)
.50 - broccoli & cheese (BOGO + double coupon)

$3.96 for dinner for 3

No comments: