Saturday, November 14, 2009

Thursday, Friday & Saturday dinners

I've been letting this get away from me lately, but I'm going to try to do better about posting nightly.

Thursday's dinner was great comfort food for such cold, nasty weather. We had smoked sausage, cabbage, and au gratin potatoes. For the main dish, I just slice the sausage into rounds, brown lightly on both sides, then add 1/2 head shredded cabbage and about 1/2 cup chicken broth. Then I just simmer until the cabbage is tender - about 15 minutes. The sausage flavors the cabbage and it's delicious. On the side I made homemade au gratin potatoes - I've posted about these plenty of times before. I make with Simply Potatoes sliced potatoes and Swiss cheese and they're awesome.

Totals:

.50 - smoked sausage (BOGO + double coupon)
.60 - 1/2 head cabbage
.40 - Simply Potatoes (BOGO + super double coupon)
$1.50 - cheese & cream for potatoes

$3 for dinner for 3

__________

Friday: No real cooking going on tonight. I made hot dogs topped with the last bit of Cincinnati chili and baked beans.

$1 - hot dogs (BOGO + coupon)
$1 - buns
free - leftover chili
free - baked beans (from Harris Teeter meal deal)

$2 for dinner for 3

__________

Tonight I marinated some chicken breasts in Mrs. Dash marinade (Garlic & Herb with a touch of citrus), and made my favorite Lemon-Broccoli "Fake Out" Risotto. (I've posted about this many times before - look back for recipe or email me if you can't find it.) I had originally planned to make asparagus risotto, because HT has fresh asparagus on sale for $1.69/lb this week, but The Kid specifically asked for the broccoli version so I relented. (And agreed to have roasted asparagus later in week.)

$2 - boneless chicken breasts
.15 - marinade (whole bottle was .45 after triple coupons)
.50 - broccoli (steam-in-bag - BOGO + double coupon)
$1 - remaining risotto ingredients

$3.65 for dinner for 4 (sister joined us)

No comments: