Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tuesday Dinner

Cincinnati-style Chili


Last night's dinner was a real treat because I cooked something we only get every few years - Cincinnati-style Chili.

In case you're unfamiliar with it, Cincinnati-style chili is totally unlike traditional Texas-style chili. It's slightly sweet, smooth like hot dog chili, and has a flavor of cloves and cinnamon instead of peppers, cumin and chili powder. It's served over spaghetti with shredded cheddar cheese.

There's a company that makes a seasoning packet for it (just like McCormick and other brands have seasoning packets for "traditional" chili) that was sold at Kroger. But after all the Krogers moved out of the Triad, there was no where to buy this seasoning locally. A good friend, along with his entire family, was a huge fan of this type of chili, so he tracked down the manufacturer and ordered the seasoning direct. (This was pre-internet.) His family has been ordering a case of the stuff every year or two ever since. And I'm lucky enough that he always remembers how much I love it, too, and saves a couple of packets for me.

If you're interested, you can order it through Amazon.com here. Or you can just contact the manufacturer direct: Skytime, Inc., 1-800-443-4371. Or look for it the next time you pass a Kroger (they're still in NC and VA, just not in the Triad anymore).

He dropped the packets by yesterday unexpectedly, so I didn't have time to thaw the hamburger from my freezer (that I'd gotten on sale). Yep, I did the unthinkable - I made a grocery store run and paid full price. (Gulp) But I couldn't help myself - I was THAT excited over the prospect of a good plate of Cincy chili for dinner. I served it over spaghetti w/ shredded cheddar, as is traditional. On the side we had garlic bread and mandarin oranges in orange jello (because I couldn't think of a good vegetable to go with the chili).

Totals:

free - seasoning packet
.79 - 1 can tomato paste
$4.98 - 2 lbs ground beef (packet calls for 1 - 1.5, but I didn't have a use for extra 1/2 lb from chub so I used the whole thing)

.50 - spaghetti
.50 - cheddar cheese
.75 - garlic bread
$1 - mandarin oranges
free - jello (after triple coupons)

$8.52 for dinner for 4 (sister joined us) plus a full quart of chili left over.

No comments: