Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Dinner

I've run into some good Harris Teeter meat markdowns over the last few days. One to keep an eye out for is Hatfield pre-packaged pork chops. There are several varieties & cuts, all pre-portioned & individually wrapped, sold in 24 - 30 oz. bags. I've found marked-down short-dated packages at more than one store this week, in the $3.99 - $4.99 range (down from $8.99). All the packages have a $1 off coupon inside, so it's worth it to open the package when you get it home even if you aren't cooking the chops yet. (I'm freezing mine for future meals.) I'll carry these coupons with me in the hopes of getting an even better deal.

I took advantage of another meat markdown tonight - angus skirt steak, which I used for beef stir-fry. I just sliced against the grain into bite-sized pieces and stir-fried in a little hot oil until browned. I removed them from the pan and added in a bag of Birds-Eye broccoli stir fry veggies, and stir-fried until thawed. I prepared a packet of Sundown Beef & Broccoli stir-fry sauce according to directions (adding water & soy sauce), added it to the veggies and then added the beef back in. I served the stir-fry over Jasmine Rice (more of the Uncle Ben's Ready Rice pouches I have stockpiled), and served it with Kahiki frozen egg rolls.

The verdict: eh. I think it was too close to what I had for lunch for me to truly enjoy it. The rest of the family did, including my sister who ate with us. And The Kid concocted a special egg-roll dipping sauce (soy sauce, wasabi paste and sesame oil) that was delicious. In fact, The Kid heated another egg roll and made another batch of sauce as a bedtime snack. (These egg rolls are great - only 100 calories and 5 grams of fat, plus plenty of veggies.)

Totals:

$3.50 - beef skirt steak
.55 - stir fry veggies (after sale + coupon)
$1 - stir fry sauce mix
.4 - rice
.65 - egg rolls (triple coupons)

$5.74 for dinner for 4, plus leftover stir fry for another serving

No comments: